Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower seized gearbox

To: James Denneny <57jndenneny@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower seized gearbox
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 23:14:56 -0500
If the box has tension on it and there's no positive pulldown, you might be
right. Gripping and dealing with a taught cable under load is tough to do,
is dangerous and you could damage the tower or cable.

Around here, a crane is about $250 minimum. Money well spent. Just plan
exactly what you're going to do, whether it's retracting the tower or
replacing the hub.

Don't mess around, there's a lot of energy stored in an extended tower.

That said, those gearboxes are typically very reliable. You might want to
try emptying the oil and filing it with penetrating oil if you think it has
corroded. That might get it moving. But that won't fix a broken spline!

(If you do this, don't forget to put proper oil back in the gearbox once
you get it free.)

Good luck!

Mickey N4MB
Palm Beach Gardens, FL