Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower seized gearbox

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower seized gearbox
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 22:23:05 -0800
Jim,

The W300 is a worm drive reduction gear. I have a similar one on my US Tower 90 foot motorized tower. The first thing I would do is take out the fill plug on the upper side of the gearbox and see if the lubricating oil is still there. It sounds like it ran low
and overheated.  Is there any noticeable leakage from the seals ?
If it is low on lube oil I would fill it up to the fill hole until it starts to run out then put the plug back in. Then try momentarily alternating up and down with switch and see if it gradually frees up. These worm gear reduction gears need to have the lube oil changed periodically. The residue from the sliding worm gears gradually contaminates the lube oil. What I did on mine is convert over to Mobil synthetic lube oil. It runs cooler and there is less wear compared to the petroleum lube oil. Still need to change the lube oil periodically though. Hope you can get it resolved. Let us know how it goes. (If this doesnt work, I would take out the lower drain plug and completely drain the lube oil. then fill the gearbox with penetrating oil and let it sit for awhile and try again. Before doing this you might call Hub City and go over this with them they can recommend the best penetrating oil to use. It might save you an expensive crane process. The guys at Hub City are great to talk to and very helpful )

73,
Bob
K6UJ