Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets

To: "Bert Almemo" <balmemo@sympatico.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 22:17:48 -0800

@@@ Stainless steel does not conduct RF worth a damn. F12 uses 12-24 SS screws to make the balun connections... between a pair of SS nuts and SS flatwashers. I also tried the same stunt, using SS for connections to a vac tune cap, bad news. Where RF has to flow through a screw, brass, silver plated brass, or phosphor bronze screws works a lot better. But we are talking about using screws to mash two surfaces together, in which case, anything will work. F12 tried using 8 ga SS solid wire to make the hairpin coil on a 40m yagi, more bad news. The coil turned black, dead center in the middle of the coil, where the current is highest. For a laugh, I tried SS 8 ga SS solid wire for a 40m tank coil in my hb linear, what a disaster. Also tried AL tubing, like the soft 3003-H0 alloy, for a 20m tank coil, in the same linear, also with disastrous results.

@@ Im not about to replace the solid al rivets on any of my f12 yagis with SS self tapping sheet metal screws anytime soon. f12 puts the 1st rivet almost at the end of the joint, close to the edge, ( too close, it should be 1.5 diameters away from any edge).. so no way to install a SS hose clamp. Hose clamps wont even work unless you have at least one slot cut into the outer tube. So its either rivets, ss self tapping sheet metal screws... or slots + SS hose clamps. If slots + hose clamps + screws used, the hose clamp would have to be cranked down good and tight..1st, b4 any SS self tapping screws being installed.

@@ SS machine screws + SS nylocks.... at right angles to each other, will also work good. Bottom line is, use whatever works for you. If starting from scratch, then you have more options. BTW, for you folks that buy AL tubing from DX eng, they now offers AL tubing with NO slots on either end. b4, DX eng sold their tubing with 4 x slots..a slot every 90 degs, on ONE end only. Previously, if you didn’t want to use the slots, the tube was flipped 180 degs, so the slotted end was stuffed into the next bigger tube...never to be seen again. The advantage to the... no slots at all option, is the tubing is now even cheaper to buy. EG: .375 OD x .058 wall x 3 ft long, is only $1.48 ( 6063-T832 alloy, which is the same 40 ksi yield strength as the more expensive 6061-T6 alloy). Yield strength X section modulus = bending moment.

Jim   VE7RF

-----Original Message----- From: Bert Almemo