Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Mast Material

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Mast Material
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:57:09 -0400
Fence posts are a crap shoot. I've used 16' of 1.5" top rail as a gin pole, but the strength and temper can vary widely. IOW, you don't know what you are getting unless they publish a speck sheet, or the vendor can/will demonstrate the strength and rigidity.

Hams are innovators, or at least many of them are.
Having spent my first 21 years on a farm, I had an early indoctrination on re-purposing materials and items. I'd have made Primatave Pete proud!

Using EMT, fence posts, fence rail, water pipe, black iron, have worked for some, but most of these materials are not thought of as good material for masts. I've seem all up to and including one inch bent with hand operated conduit benders. Admittedly the 1" was beyond my abilities. Using anything that can be bent by hand causes second thoughts about using it as mast material.

I have used iron pipe to a rotator down in the tower and extending only a few feet above the top. It wasn't my first choice, but I already had it. OTOH Iron pipe, be it galvanized or black, is "HEAVY" compared to steel mast. When you look at the strength differential, the iron pipe is really heavy for what little strength it has

EMT (also called "thin wall") is designed for indoor use and to be easily bent with little spring as is iron pipe. Iron pipe is what is used as rigid conduit "outside" There are instances where these have all been used as masts successfully and many instances...where they failed.

All of these can be used within their limitations and with the exception of the steel fence pipe, they are consistent

I went to a small firm that installed chain link and security fences. I asked him if they had anything in the 1.5 to 2" range that was strong and not easily bent. He pointed out the 1.5" rail and said it's all of those, but you might find it a bit springy.

I still have it, but that was probably between 20 and 30 years ago.

73

Roger  (K8RI)