Re: [TowerTalk] PL 259 Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL 259 Connectors
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 19:16:45 -0400
Contrary to some, I use Amphenol and I've used several imports that were just as good. With PL259s I use only crimp. They are fast, easy, and consistent and stronger than the solder type.. I use two sizes of what's often referred to as flooded heat shrink tubing. It is lined with hot melt glue. Some don't like tat approach as when removed some glue is left behind. I do not like any method that does not seal to the connector and coax jacked. Crimp connectors are different for 8X, or small coax. No adapter needed

To attach the connector, just use a properly adjusted stripper. First, (If you use heat shrink, slide the smaller piece on first) slide the crimping band down the coax. Then a couple turns around the coax with the stripper and it's ready for the connector. Slide the back of the connector over the dielectric and under the braid. (foil goes inside) You can flare or spread the braid out a little to make sure there are no loose strands that could cause a short. Check for foil at the end of the dielectric as well. The center conductor should protrude from the connector center pin a little. Slide that crimping sleeve up over the braid to the shoulder (as far as it will go) When crimped the sleeve should reach over the coax jacket a bit. The center pin tip is reduced in diameter for about an eighth of an inch. Crimp this onto the center conductor and trim the center conductor flush with the tip after crimping. At this point I slide the piece of heat shrink all the way up to the shoulder and "shrink it". If One piece of coax already has a connector and I'm out in the field, I wrap the whole splice, connection, what ever, with self vulcanizing tape or coax seal and wrap that with a couple layers of good electrical tape for protection.

In the old days, I just used a sharp knife (before box cutters) to strip coax almost as quick as the strippers.OTOH we didn't have the handy crimpers back then, braid wasn't as fragile and I had two working hands.

73

Roger (K8RI)