Re: [TowerTalk] PL 259 Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL 259 Connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 10:00:04 -0700
On Tue,5/10/2016 3:41 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I concur with Jim on the Amphenol 83-1SP connector, with the exception of
Heliax connectors, it is the only PL-259 in use at my station.

Same here. You'll get exactly that advice from W3LPL, who I consider an authority. For the few places where I need N-connectors, I use a wonderful connector from Andros Mfg. I've also learned that they have recently added a PL-259 to their catalog. Haven't seen any yet.

  Recently I bought an American Beauty soldering iron and it makes soldering
PL-259 connectors a breeze. I wish that I had bought one decades ago.

Yes, a good temp controlled iron with a fairly large tip makes the job go a lot more smoothly. I use the Hakko I bought about 12 years ago to work with Elecraft kits. It accepts different sizes of tips. Also a good bench vise to hold the work. At least 40 years ago (so long ago that I don't remember buying it), I found a heavy beast of a bench vise that works great.

73, Jim K9YC