Re: [TowerTalk] PL 259 Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL 259 Connectors
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 13:08:27 -0400
>   Recently I bought an American Beauty soldering iron and it makes
soldering PL-259 connectors a breeze. I wish that I had bought one decades
ago.

They're great in applications where the surrounding metal work sinks the
majority of heat.  In addition to American Beauty, Hexacon is another good
brand of old irons.  With patience, one can usually find a suitable iron on
the big auction site.  I recently purchased 200W and 300W models for under
$25.  They're definitely old and sorta' beat but do work very well.  The
larger iron has been assisting me with the removal of electrolytic
Twist-lock caps from boatanchor chassis.  Today, these irons seem to be used
mostly by tin/sheet metal shops.

Paul, W9AC