Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Feedlines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Feedlines
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 00:44:39 -0400
Consider this as a starting point.

With low power and only 100' run, most any good coax will do for HF. For VHF and UHF, LMR400 will have the lowest loss as long as you don't need flexibility. if you need flexibility then BuryFlex (TM) is a good choice with only a little more loss than LMR400. Don't get LMR400UF. It is the most flexible, but not prone to long life out in the elements..

A tribander means a rotator meaning a rotator loop in the coax. A run of 8X has relatively low loss at HF and is very flexible. Moreso than any of the larger coax cables. BuryFlex makes for good rotator loops in the larger cables

Grounding. Read the Polyphaser pages. You might have to search for the papers on grounding. Starting off, you need a "single point ground where the cables (coax, rotator, and any control cables) at the point of entry, All grounds tie to this including equipment grounds.. Ground "system"! You will need more than one rod at the tower and one at the entrance. Ground the coax shields to the tower at both the top and bottom of the tower. There should be one ground rod out out say 6 feet from each tower leg with grounding cable run our in a radial fashion. Ground rods are spaced twice their length. 2" wide copper strap would be preferable, but large, bare copper cable will work. Where copper is concerned, it gets expensive quick. The idea is a grid of grounding wire and rods. Copper plated rods are for protection from corrosion, not conductivity. Typically Galvanized rods are a good bet. The wire, or strap should be CadWelded to the ground rods.

Don't forget to run a ground from the tower system to the Single Point Ground.
Usually the ground system is limited by space, soil conditions, and budget.
It can be added to as time and budget permit, but copper that's been in the dirt for a while requires a good cleaning before Cad welding on extensions.

 73 es good luck,

Roger (K8RI)