Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors Part 2

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors Part 2
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 13:58:15 -0500
Hi Paul,

I have been doing the same thing for over 40 years when installing a
reducer. It is the only way to get a solid mechanical and electrical
connection.
Trying to solder the braid thru the holes does not get but a few strands
soldered and then the cable can rotate in the connector and eventually
breaks the soldered strands.
Soldering all the strands on the end of the reducer as you describe keeps
the cable from being able to rotate in the connector.

The trick is of course to have the adaptor tined first so that you can
solder quickly.

I used to pick up cables at hamfests and about 99% of them had bad
connections. If you can twist the cable in the connector, the connector is
not installed properly.

73

Gary  K4FMX