Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling antenna traps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling antenna traps
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 15:33:17 -0700
On Sun,6/5/2016 1:20 PM, Timothy Holmes wrote:
I would like to model them so that I can properly adjust them to see if it
is even worth my time, and what the performance will roughly look like

To model the antenna, you will first need to measure the traps to find their complete equivalent circuit. A trap is fundamentally an inductor with series resistance in parallel with a capacitor with parallel resistance. Near resonance, they simplify to parallel R, L, and C, but above and below resonance, we need to know the R in series with L, because these values affect performance on bands below the resonance of the trap. And, of course, both Rs vary with frequency, thanks to skin effect.

73, Jim K9YC