[TowerTalk] Extending the support for a 160M Inv L with Fishing Pole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Extending the support for a 160M Inv L with Fishing Pole
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 21:22:47 -0000
Dear OMs and YLs,
     I have a 160M inverted L whose vertical run is presently at around 100
feet.    The antenna wire is a Kevlar centre with outer braid followed by
insulation.   It is suspended from the end of the top wire where it runs
horizontally with a Kevlar centred 1/16 inch diameter rope to another tower.
This antenna wire is light and kept under minimum tension.

     The vertical support is a seventy some foot steel lattice tower with
three inch tapering to two inch stainless tubing sticking up a further 17
feet from the top of the tower to approximately 87 feet.   The last thirteen
feet is a fibreglass pole from Spider beam.   The inverted L vertical run
thus hits 100 feet.   The base of this antenna is about fifteen feet out
from the base of the tower connected to slightly less than two miles of
ground radials.

     Previously I used a longer section of fibreglass tube but it snapped in
band weather.    I am now considering extending the vertical run with a
fishing pole.   This has the advantage of being very flexible and of small
diameter so that wind load should be minimal.   Also the light weight will
not significantly increase the difficulty in tilting the tower when cranked
down.

     Has anyone tried something of this nature using specifically a fishing
pole.    I have SteppIR Roach poles but I think the fishing pole might be
lighter and even more flexible - obviously I am looking for a long pole.
The weight at the end of this structure needs to be kept to a minimum.

     The present antenna works well but I want to do better. Maybe making
the vertical run will help some.  The tower is stayed with Kevlar type low
stretch rope by Mastrant.   The last twenty-five feet of the stays are steel
broken by an egg insulator.

     Thank you for your experiences, insights or comments.

                      73 Doug EI2CN