Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Temporary tower installation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Temporary tower installation
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 02:02:31 -0400
Tilt base is plain out simple to use and to make. Take a picture or drawing with an explanation to most any welding shop and they can whip one out in minutes. For a base I prefer TWO metal plates with the bottom section of the tower mated to the top plate. The reason for this is it reduces the stress on the two tower legs. The plates can be hinged using matching steel tubes, or pipe welded to the plates with the appropriate size steel rod used as a hinge pin. The same configuration can be used on the opposite side to pin the plate together once the tower is up. Make 'em a couple feet square by quarter inch thick. Yes, they will be heavy.

Drill appropriate size holes near the corners to drive hefty rods in as anchors. Drive the rods at angles so a tipping motion won't try to pull them out. Use Phillystran or double braided Dacron rope for guys. It's only 40 feet, but good guys add safety for the antenna and anyone who might have to climb it. I've walked up many 40 footers with rotator and tribander in place. That I've was me and 4 other guys and the tribanders were the size of the C19XR or smaller. 3 and 4 L tribanders were relatively easy, but a little weight "up there" can quickly add a lot of effort.

I like Wilson's approach, but I'd use a towing strap and one of those big jacks that work with the straps.

73

Roger (K8RI)