Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 02:37:28 -0400
The bottom two photos on this page show a bit of the 1/2" CATV cable sticking out of connectors. I was talking about http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/conn.htm It's extremely fragile and rarely used in this area of Michigan. Nearly all is now 3/4 except for the drops. I still have over 200' left o 3/4" out of nearly a full spool (only the outer layer was shot) The 1/2" CATV stuff is bare, thin AL with no protective jacket and extremely fragile. The 3/4" stuff is also bare Al but it's tough. Nearly all CATV runs in this area are the bare 3/4" except for the few new upscale subdivisions where everything is underground

I don't share the opinion of the 1/2" Andrew coax. I had a short piece stepped on in the yard and the imprint from the man's foot was quite visible. As the longest run to the top antennas was 228 feet. 200 feet to the top of the tower and 28' pigtails to the antennas, I'd gain little by going to hard-line on HF. If it was farther to the tower, you bet I'd be using 7/8ths.

What's the difference in loss and cost per 100' comparing 1/2" Heliax and LMR 400 and 600 at 30 MHz? LMR400 is 0.7db while 600 is 0.4db So replacing my LMR 400 with 600, saved me 1.4-.8, or 0.6 db on HF. On 50, 144, and 440 it was progressively more. I'm too lazy to look up the figures as it's 2:30 AM

Pulling hard line through conduit? If the conduit is large enough and the messenger cable strong enough, it's shouldn't be that hard to do. We pulled three, 00 copper cables through roughly 150 feet of 3". Each end consisted of two sweep 45s. When the Consumer's crew arrived and saw the installation with the big messenger cable his face lit up, he had a big smile and hollered back to the crew, "You guys are gonna love this!"

Even relatively long pulls of multiple cables do not have to be overly difficult if the cables are properly prepared. Soap/lube the living daylights out of the original pull and any additional cables. put the originals loosely wound on a spool so they go straight in. Pulling through proper size conduit is easier than pulling the same length across a yard. Of course, 300 feet of 7/8ths Heliax, or even LMR-600 is a lot of weight. Nor does pulling more cables need to cause worry if the conduit is large enough. Try to find wider than normal sweeps for hard lie even if you have to order them. Tape the leading edge of the large coax into a cone. If necessary, use a bunch of the yellow foam in a can that cures hard. trim it to a cone shape for the end of the entire bundle and cover it with plenty of tape. Soap well. With hard-line there is little need for worry about water. Most other cables are available in Direct Burial versions with the space between the jacket and dielectric filled with a jell. They are more expensive, but replacing a 200 or 300' run can be work, plus money. NOTE: Don't make the mistake of taping the coax cables together except at the leading end!

If the pull is fairly long. get some Tygon tubing and force a stream of lube along the entire length of the conduit. Of course, thinking ahead, this could be done 20 feet at a time during assembly. It's actually easier than pulling 20 feet at a time during the conduit assembly. The first time you pull through a thoroughly lube conduit with a lubed bundle you will be surprised at how little effort it takes. Just be generous with the lube!

I no longer glue the conduit sections together. I simply grease the inside of the joint with an ample coat of Silicone grease. That allows the section going in to bottom out in the joint and seals adequately, at least in central Michigan. Officially the code still thinks the frost line is 28, or 30 inches. I don't think it's gotten that deep under the driveway in 20 years. The last 10, it's only made 6 or 8 inches under the yards and fields. I don't remember restrictions on the roads last spring. If there were they were on for a very short time. I try to have a bit of compression pressure on the run, but I doubt it's necessary. If you are not draining and live where it gets cold in the winter, make sure the conduit is below the frost line.

73

Roger (K8RI)