Re: [TowerTalk] AVA7-50 reel info

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AVA7-50 reel info
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 11:08:43 -0700
On Sat,9/10/2016 10:49 AM, Bryan Fields wrote:
An o-scope with a TDR would be the best method. This would get you a length to
within a few inches.

Yes. Depending on the frequency at which the capacitance meter operates, the error could be quite large.

Another method -- measure it as a stub. Look for nulls in the impedance when measured with an antenna analyzer. With the other end open circuit, if the analzyer goes low enough in frequency, the lowest frequency will tell you the length at which it is a quarter wave. if the analyzer does not go low enough, the lowest resonance you may see 3/4 wave, 1.25 wave, etc.

I do TDR with my VNWA. If you're considering buying an antenna analzyer, this one is an awfully good choice, and a real bargain. It's a real Vector Network Analzyer, so it can measure gain through a system, and it does TDR. It goes to 1.3 GHz, and it self powers from the USB port of the computer that runs it! And it's a real bargain, about $650 shipped to your door. You want the 3e version with the calibration kit. I don't recommend the case.

http://sdr-kits.net/VNWA3_Description.html

73, Jim K9YC