Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <cqtestk4xs@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 12:43:02 +0300
Elevated radials work very well with 4 square elements if you leave the
ground loss question separate. I have 1 elevated radial per each vertical
(ca 6-8 feet high) for my full size 80m 4Square and in addition to that
passive ground screen of many radials under it to deal with the ground loss.
1 elevated radial has the huge bonus of being able to easily tune each
vertical by changing the length of the radial and not the vertical element.
The system works very well with DXE box and was mostly matching or beating
the 3 element yagi up 1/2wl (when it was still up before the tower crashed).
My soil is nothing special. Rather poor than good.

Secondly I have the very system of wire 4 Square for 160m built around a
rotating tower. The tower is 42m high and the wire verticals are hung from
the wires so that the upper ca 1/3 part runs along the wire diagonally up
towards the top of the tower. So in reality it is full size but with sort of
semi inverted L elements.

I have no ground screen and I have only ONE wire radial per each element off
about 7-8 feet from the ground. I have not detuned the tower in any way. And
it sill works OK. It has a poorer directivity and and less gain than the
full size 160m 4Square with 64 ground mounted radials per vertical. But it
works!

So Bill - I guess just hang up those wires, put 1 radial first, get it tuned
and see how it works! Does not cost much to try. You might be surprised.

I don't see the point of raising up 16 radials. Once you have so many you
can just put them on the ground unless there is a reason why you can't have
ground mounted radials.. Much easier to even put 64 on the ground than
raising 16 I guess. And then you get perfect result anyway.

73
Tonno
ES5TV