Re: [TowerTalk] Cad Welding tips

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cad Welding tips
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 04:36:38 -0400
I don't know how to say this nice, but will endeavor to do so. My goal is to save someone some serious pain, or worse. When I read about someone getting seriously burned using Cad Welding, I often wonder if these people ever learned to use safety procedures. Cad Welding Arc Welding (stick, MIG, TIG, and torch), climbing towers, and working on amplifiers. These are all inherently dangerous Some a bit more so than others. Accidents do happen, but following the rules can help to minimize the number and the results.

Cad welding is one of the less lethal on the list, BUT, use common safety rules fer Christ sake! Wear welding gloves, or at least a good pare of leather work gloves. Safety glasses are a must. Use a comfortable and STABLE working position! IOW, one where you aren't going to fall into the HOT stuff. This "stuff" will burn through concrete. REMEMBER THAT! USE an ignition powder, rather than some home made, or substitute method of ignition, unless you are thoroughly experienced and skilled in its use. Don't use Cad Welding, or any welding near flammable materials or fumes.

Mess up a one shot and lose the igniter powder or mix it in with the regular powder. The safe answer, starts with a question. Is the cost of that one shot worth a trip to the ER? Not to discount the discomfort and inconvenience caused by a serious burn. Do not look directly at the flame from a working CadWeld reaction, or you will be seeing spots for some time!

Sure, there are safe ways to ignite it, but for the inexperienced, Don't be cheap, just pitch it and I do not mean, throw it in the trash.

Throw brain into gear before starting. Use the same precautions you'd use with ant arc, molten metal, and extremely bright light.

One last note. Don't wear synthetic materials that melt! Imagine pouring melted plastic in your lap and then trying to remove it as it sticks to "anything" that comes in contact with it.

There isn't a process that someone out there that someone won't do a serious job of screwing up, sometimes with serious consequences. Don't be the one who does it!

73

Roger (K8RI)