Re: [TowerTalk] Cad Welding tips

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cad Welding tips
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 11:03:58 -0700

I found it impossible to fire off Cadweld powder with a propane torch, and I tried many times. Cadweld powder is basically an oxidation reaction, and the hot part of the flame from a propane torch has lots of unburned fuel, making it basically a reduction environment. Sparks seem to work best, although I've also heard that people were able to use strips of magnesium as a sort of fuse. When I do my shots I just make a small trail of the starter material and hit the end of it with the sparker.

I bought LOTS of Cadweld powder off eBay for the equivalent of 50 cents per shot. It takes about 65 grams to bond a #4 wire to a ground rod, and I'd just buy the 200 gram ones and divide them by three. You can also occasionally find used molds for various applications in decent shape there at modest prices, but the ones for ground rods in good shape are much harder to find. Hence ...

I decided to make my own Cadweld mold out of a graphite plate I bought on eBay. Graphite can be easily worked with standard wood working tools, but you want to be very careful not to breathe the fine dust that results. Check out http://www.ab7e.com/exothermic/AB7E_Homebrew_Exothermic_Mold.html for step by step directions on how to make your own.

Just for grins, I also tried to make my own Cadweld powder. Cadweld powder is simply the copper version of the iron thermite that was used to weld railroad rails together .... the same iron thermite that was also used to burn through the engine blocks of captured tanks and trucks during World War II. The Cadweld formula is:

3CuO + 2AL=Al2O3 + 3Cu + HEAT (lots of it) + LIGHT (lots of it)

I bought the copper oxide and aluminum powder (again on eBay), measured out the compounds per their molecular weights and the formula above, and mixed them in a small rock tumbler. The problem was that the only copper oxide and aluminum powder I could get was fine grain laboratory grade, so what I ended up with was essentially the starter powder and not the slow burning coarser material that you need for the actual weld. When I fired it off it flashed like the stuff they used for photography back in the 1800's. There wasn't a trace of anything left so I had to hold my breath for fear of breathing in the vaporized residue until I was sure the wind had blown it all away.

Ham radio experimenting isn't limited to electronics.  ;)

73,
Dave AB7E