Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Pouring

To: "'JVarney'" <jvarn359@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Pouring
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 10:36:56 -0800
Jim-

Actually, undisturbed soil is not an urban myth, it's just the simplest way
for the engineer to calculate the foundation design.  The vertical walls of
the undisturbed soil create friction against the concrete which counts as
part of the foundation's resistance to the overturning moment.

The key factor in over-excavating is the "high level of compaction".  Soils
engineers have a way of calculating that level required, designing the depth
of the engineered lifts, and then measuring the compaction in the field.
But then if the soil is not suitable (ie. too sandy) it won't adequately
compact.  In that case you need a mat foundation.  The mat design will be
much wider and shallower than the typical pier foundation, but with enough
mass to still resist the overturning moment of the tower.

73,
Steve
N6SJ