[TowerTalk] Dish Antenna Foundations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dish Antenna Foundations
From: Martin A Flynn <maflynn@theflynn.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 14:04:49 -0500
Working on a project that may be called into service for AMSAT Phase 4. Before I hire someone for the geotechnic portion, I wanted to gain the insight of TT.

Antenna is a 12' solid surface dish, with a 450 pound AZ/EL system that was surplus from a tracking photo-voltaic system, King post is a 60" x 10" steel pipe with flanges. Anchors are eight 1" threaded rods, 36" long with washers and nuts at the far end (to increase surface area)

Soil type is Cohansey formation, may be compacted fill from 1940-45. The records are pretty sparse on this issue.

Here's the question: Considering the soil type and the unknown compaction level, What's the better option, Pier or Mat?

73 Martin Flynn

W2RWJ