Re: [TowerTalk] Is a cellular phone tower in the nearby vacinity a probl

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is a cellular phone tower in the nearby vacinity a problem for a ham?
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:42:01 -0500
Cell sites are generally pretty quiet. The whole site pretty much runs on batteries. Tower top equipment is always connected via fiber data lines and -48VDC power lines. RF amp outputs always go thru steep bandpass filters.

The battery banks in cell sites ARE charged by switching supplies, but I often have a spectrum analyzer running while I'm working in the shelters, and have occasionally hooked up a simple dipole to it to see what the levels are like in there, and I haven't seen much noise pollution at all.

That said, there has been some recent equipment with design flaws. One such case involved the surge arrestor units that are placed at the tower top that serve as the interconnection point between the -48V trunklines and the branch cables that go out to the radios. These units have alarm wiring that run back down to the base equipment. The units have a multitude of indicator LEDs, and the LEDs and/or associated circuit boards were generating wideband noise that was being picked up in the 700 MHZ band by antennas that were only a few feet away.

It was causing noise floors in the -80 dBm range, instead of the -100 dBm that the carriers need for LTE. The manufacturer provided retrofit boards to cure the problem.

-Steve K8LX