Re: [TowerTalk] LPDA optimal height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LPDA optimal height
From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:54:20 -0600
I did some research on LPDA's not too long ago as I had a used M2 40 - 10 Log in hand. I ended up selling it to a local friend who is working on putting up his first tower. The price was right and will get him started quite well.

Bottom line, the only real benefit of using a Log is if you are using an SDR rig like a Flex. I can monitor 8 different frequencies at the same time on my 6700.

From a pure gain, mechanical and cost standpoint (if your starting from scratch), one would be better off with one of the 5 band offerings such as the JK Navassa or F12 XR5 (if someone picks the business) with a dual band 30m/40m yagi like a Delta 240/230 or JK 3040 stacked above it. If your not concerned about listening to more than one band at the same time, then a Steppir would be another option.

The gain of these antenna's are 'about' the same as a log (the steppir would more than likely produced more gain depending on the model installed).

With a 5 band / 2 band setup I could still monitor 7 bands at the same time.

Rich - N5ZC