Re: [TowerTalk] LPDA optimal height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LPDA optimal height
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:41:17 -0700
Gary, NA6O, wrote:

"Another promising LPDA design is the Band-Optimized LPDA by G0KSC of
InnovAntennas. There’s an interview with him in the Jan/Feb NCJ. The article is
fairly enlightening. The upshot is that it’s not just a conventional
ultrawideband design, and he ends up with decent gain and F/B for the bands of interest. They sell a version made in the UK and, for better or worse, a USA
version made by… MFJ… using HyGain hardware."

"Fairly enlightening" would be about the most complimentary thing I would say about it.

I love this quote from G0KSC in the article:

"We had a small radio - an IC-706 - and the first call with 80 W on 20 meters got us an LY2. So, it works ! That's a first, if you like"

For those of you old enough to remember, this rings like an old Gotham antenna ad !

73,
Steve, N2IC