Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:55:15 -0800
On Fri,2/17/2017 7:21 AM, StellarCAT wrote:
Jay at Array Solutions is a straight shooter - I do not think he'd do something to intentionally mislead someone and/or take advantage of their naiveté

I've known Jay at a distance for a while, and while we don't get along, I strongly agree with your assessment.

Jim Thompson's original post was cross-posted to the Amps reflector, and Jay responded there that this product is targeted to "the band below 10M." I responded that the design made sense for that frequency. So the problem is the brief product description -- this is NOT suitable for 1.8 - 30 MHz, and I think the power rating is quite optimistic if there is much common mode present. Differential power rating is, of course, dependent on the coax used in the box and the SWR in the system.

The swept S11 data is rather silly -- common mode chokes of this sort don't affect differential mode transmission. :)

73, Jim K9YC