Re: [TowerTalk] T2X Multiple failures, fix?

To: DAVE WRIGHT <kanives@yahoo.com>, "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] T2X Multiple failures, fix?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 11:16:13 -0800
An item not discussed much is the mechanical resonances in tower + antenna systems. I see this on my big tower when the 20m5L top moves and causes oscillations in the bottom 20m5L. This is with double guyed Rohn65 which the commercial tower guys commented as "very stiff tower". With a crank up there is a lot less torsional stiffness and even slop between the sections that permit some rotation between them.

The brake jams IMO might be a problem caused by coupled moments of about the same resonant frequency. Other ideas posted re alignment also seem like good things to check.

Making the boom horizontally stiffer on the 57b could be done by mounting a cross arm above the boom on the mast (or a mast extension), say 5' up and 6' long and boom guying from its ends to the 57b boom. Leeson recommends triple guys, 2 as I mentioned (either above or below the boom) and one on the other side as he mentions that updraft failures of booms are pretty common. More likely I think for exposed hill/ridge tops such as his QTH. I use the 1200 or 2000# Phillystran for boom guys.

Another choice is to switch to a DC motor rotator with a Green Heron controller has variable ramp up/down speeds to insure minimal energy stored in the system when stopping or controlled when starting.

Grant KZ1W