Re: [TowerTalk] T2X Multiple failures, fix?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] T2X Multiple failures, fix?
From: Earl Morse <n8ss2014@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 22:44:22 -0500

> Dave,

The typical HAMIV and T2X rotators have 3 separate systems inside them.  A
500 ohm potentiometer to determine position, a motor and gear box to turn
the thing, and a brake solenoid that pulls a brake wedge out of cogs in the
housing sides to allow the rotator to turn.  You only mention that the
brake is repaired each time you send it out so I am assuming that the motor
and potentiometer are still good.

Due to the way the brake wedge is designed they tend to hang up if the
antenna is twisting in the breeze and puts any pressure on the brake wedge
pushing it against the cogs and making it hard to retract and free the
rotator to spin.  If you suspect that the brake is hanging you can listen
for it as it makes a distinct clank when the solenoid pulls it in.

If it hangs up, sometimes you can free it up by telegraphing the brake
lever while rocking the  CCW and CW levers in an attempt to hammer the
brake out of the cog if it stuck.

One thing you might want to check is the size of your rotor cable to make
sure you have the right size conductors for the length of run you have out
to and up the tower.  If the wire is too small, it will limit current to
the motor and brake making it turn slower or making the brake harder to
retract.

Earl
N8SS