[TowerTalk] Antenna climbing harness (Rigging)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna climbing harness (Rigging)
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 05:41:03 -0800
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 23:19:31 -0600 (CST)
From: K5CG <k5cg@hamoperator.org>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna climbing harness (Rigging)

I was 21 "back then" working for LeBlanc & Royle out of Oakville Ontario. Free
climbing inside towers and stopping every 50 feet was standard operating
procedure. Unless you could ride up on the cable...
http://www.hamoperator.org/pics/CKVR/

I used to climb up on the CKVR Channel 3 SuperTurnstile "Batwings" at the top
of that one. Different rules today.

73
Danny
K5CG
SKCC #14257

##  A buddy and myself bought several hundred feet of used L+R tower from L+R
in vancouver bc.  30 inches center to center, and aprx 34 inches corner to
corner.  20 ft sections weighed 250 lbs if W braced, and 350 lbs if X braced.
They were one big meccano set, with hundreds of  .375 inch bolts used.  10 on
each leg splice, 30 in total..every 20 ft.   I free climbed the inside of the
tower, then  belted in, when I got to the level I wanted. I had it up between
1980 and 1990, at 2 x different homes..then had to sell it, when I moved south.
 Its still in use. One of the best sectional towers ever built imo.  They would
fully collapse down to just pieces, which makes it easy to ship.  A local, 120
miles north of me has one up 160 ft, 18 inch per side, that rotates. The steel
they used was superb quality.

Jim  VE7RF