[TowerTalk] March QST cover

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] March QST cover
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 05:28:28 -0800
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 14:38:22 -0600
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
To: sawyered@earthlink.net
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] March QST cover

One thing you learn after almost 30 years in publishing is, let he who is
without sin?

The uninitiated would be blown away by how easy it is for major gaffes to slip
through even the most professional organizations. Anybody remember ?Dewey
defeats Truman?? As I recall, that wasn?t exactly the Podunk Gazette behind
that one.

It was a mistake. It wasn?t the publishing world?s first and it certainly will
not be the last. It is also unlikely the ARRL had anything to do with the
composition of the photograph.

The tenor of the quoted tower industry magazine item was startlingly
unprofessional, and violated a key tenet of journalism.

73, kelly, ve4xt

##  Anybody remember the other recent gaffe, Hillary defeats Trump.  That was
in  major newspapers in south america.   Having to hook, and unhook a gillion
times, going up down any tower, esp the 70-300 ft variety is looney tunes.  A
safety
cable running the entire length of the tower makes more sense.  Unless the hard
hat has a chin strap, it will fall off.  I never used a hard hat on a tower.
The ground crew however, does wear the orange hard hats.  Then the fellow on
the tower can easily see
at a glance where the various ground crew folks are.  If something falls, its
the folks on the ground that will get nailed on the head.  I use special gloves
with the fingers cut off, baseball hat  on backwards to keep the sun off the
back of my neck, and some safety sun glasses, with a line around the neck, so I
dont lose them.     The knot she has tied on her back is so  lose, it looks
like its from an instruction manual on how to tie knots.  Never seen the loose
end with a bunch of ty-raps to hold it, thats a new one for me.

Jim  VE7RF