Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar Cage for Foundation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar Cage for Foundation
From: "Kevin Stover, AC0H" <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 09:56:30 -0500
Your average run of the mill Tashjian tower, say the LM470, 70'tall, four sections. It's rated for 20 sqft wind load at the top of the tower, not at the end of the 5-10 foot underrated mast most hams use.

The DB42, according to SteppIR, is 19.9 sqft.
There was some hubub a year or so ago when K7NV came out and said any of the SteppIR's using the sweeps or underrated for wind area.

If he's right and the DB42 is actually closer to 30 sqft windload it's WAY too much for the Tashjian tower.

Even if K7NV is wrong why would you buy an antenna which uses ALL the available load leaving nothing for mast, feed lines, the ubiquitous 2m/70cm vertical or beams?

Your just begging for trouble.