Re: [TowerTalk] Need Capacitors for Matching Network

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Capacitors for Matching Network
From: Art Greenberg <art@artg.tv>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 09:52:37 -0400
I have a Jennings UCS-500. I'd rather use it for something else, but I
agree its suitable.

Coil inductances range from about 3uH to 6uH. Air wound is appropriate
as dissipation in the coil will be around 15W at legal limit assuming
unloaded Q of 200. I'm afraid that would melt the plastic ribs on even
the heavy-duty B&W/AirDux TL type coils. But big air wound coils take up
space. I'd like to keep the enclosure small. It would be nice to fit it
all in an inexpensive off the shelf PVC weatherproof electrical box from
the big box store. Which also argues against using that big vacuum
variable and motor.

--
Art Greenberg
art@artg.tv