[TowerTalk] Heliax acting strangely: Help?

To: towertalk@contesting.com,
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heliax acting strangely: Help?
From: <kr2q@optimum.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 11:25:02 GMT
I put out a 160 foot run of 7 eights heliax last year.  Worked great.  Last
time I was
QRV was end of January, 2017.

I recently put some RF out (100 watts...HP for me) and was surprised to see an
SWR in the
shack of about 3:1.

Setup:
Outdoor antenna switch box just outside the shack.
>From there, very short run of RG8 (under 4 feet) to "start" of Heliax.
160 foot run of Heliax to "back" tower.
Then another "short run" of RG8 to about 80 feet of RG217, which goes "up" my
crankup tower.

What I have done:
Put a dummy load at the rig: shows 1:1 SWR.

Put the dummy load at the "far end" of the heliax by "breaking" the connection
from the
Heliax to the short run of RG8.  SWR in the shack still 3:1 (all HF bands).

Put the dummy load at the end of the short run of RG8 coming from the antenna
switch box.
SWR in the shack shows 1:1 (dummy working, coax to that point working).

OK, so seems like something is wrong with the Heliax.

I disconnected the Heliax at both ends.  If I short inner to outer, it shows
dead short at
the "other" end.  I know, DC is not RF.

I measure the resistance between center conductor and outer shield of the
Heliax.  I expected
"infinite," but using my crappy RS ohmeter, it shows about 500k ohms.  I
measured other runs
I have RG217 (nothing connected at either end, about same length), and the
crappy RS meter
shows infinite, as expected.

So what could go "wrong" with my 7 eights inch Heliax?  It is above (on) ground
for the entire length.

I walked it yesterday, picking it up about every 10 feet.  Looked "normal" to
me.

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks,
de Doug KR2Q