Re: [TowerTalk] Buried conduit pull rope

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried conduit pull rope
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 23:45:09 -0400
Depends on what you're pulling, how big the conduit is, how many bends, etc. In worse case scenarios I avoid knots of any kind in the pull line. I stagger the cables being pulled and simply tape each cable to the mule tape with generous TIGHT wraps of electrical tape. I'm not afraid to use a whole roll or two of tape, and a fair bit of time preparing the mass of cables. I'll cut the ends of the cables at an angle to lessen the chance of catching on a conduit joint. A little cable lube helps.

As you probably noticed muletape is commonly available in 1250 lb and 2500 lb strengths (and stronger), so it's good for pulling fairly big bundles of cables thru hundreds of feet of conduit with a capstan winch. If you try to do this with twist rope you'll melt PVC 90° bends almost instantly.

-Steve K8LX