Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Tower Grounds

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Tower Grounds
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:58:53 -0700
On 10/17/17 7:53 AM, Clay Autery wrote:
A good question, Jim...  I suppose the though is that the stainless steel through bolts that bolts the powdercoated steal clevis to the foundation rod and the aluminum tower legs, are a) not copper/aluminum

Who cares if it's a "good" conductor as long as it's not an insulator or semiconductive - that is, wouldn't steel work? After all, the tower is steel, the bolts for a UFER ground are steel, etc.

and b) may not have the best of electrical interfaces with the tower leg.

Well, for *lightning* you're not concerned about RF losses - what you worry about is physical destruction (I'd not put a layer of bronze wool in there to catch fire<grin>) and durability. So something that clamps/welds well is good.

Broadcast towers are a different story - the ground system is part of the radiating system, so RF loss is important.

And for electrical safety ground (what the NEC is worried about) you DO worry about resistance, sort of - after all, it is perfectly acceptable to have the bonding path be galvanized steel conduit all the way from the load end back to the connection to the grounding electrode system.

The primary purpose of the NEC bonding system is to ensure that the circuit breaker will trip (or fuse will blow) if there's a line to case short. So for 120V, if the resistance is greater than a few (single digit) ohms, you won't draw enough current to trip the 15-20 A breaker.

(this is ultimately what caused the MGM Grand Hotel fire in Las Vegas - a short from line to poorly bonded electrical box got hot and ignited all the wires in the above ceiling area, which was the AC return plenum.)

 But since you mention it, I will consider doing some testing to
see what the actual measurements are...  Not sure I want any arcing between the bolts and aluminum through holes in my base section though...  I'd prefer no arcing at all if possible.  But I get your point.  Those bolts are very attractive...  and the steel threaded rods protruding 6 foot into the concrete foundation also look mighty attractive for additional bonding points assuming they were properly bonded to the rebar cage and the rebar cage were properly welded together...  Things to think about.  Would be much easier to construct a brazed lug end from the strap end than to make it conform to a round tower leg, etc...

You bet - you can get a crimped on lug, for instance.

Feedline grounding to the tower is a whole 'nuther animal...  I won't pollute this thread by drifting to that.  <grin>

73,

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389