Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of cables to tower?

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of cables to tower?
From: David Aslin G3WGN <david@aslinvc.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 20:58:28 +0000
Hi Jim,
How 'wrong' is it to have grounded my tower to the demarcation panel at the
shack end, if the distance from tower to panel is approx. 200ft?
It seems to me that the approx. #6 bonding wire (35mm sq in metric) and the
associated 18 ground rods along its length would at least provide some
dissipation as a radial from the tower, just as the other 3 radials from the
tower will do.  Ground here is low conductivity 'shillet' - slate fragments
mixed with a small amount of dirt, so considered from the premises end,
provides additional ground conductivity for the ground connection at the panel
- i.e. lightning arrestors, coax outers.  So it's kind of like I have a 100ft
conductor starting at each end, but they happen to meet in the middle.
Crazy, waste of time, overkill or OK in the circumstances?  Would value your
thoughts.
73, David G3WGN  M6O  WJ6O