Re: [TowerTalk] height of ground rod at tower base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] height of ground rod at tower base
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 22:48:49 -0700
All this discussion has been centered around standard tower. It is not possible to attach a ground clamp or similar connection to each leg of the moving sections of crankups such as the HG-70HD. Probably true for some other crankups too. The only ground connection on the HG-70HD is made at the rear base ear (opposite the hinge side). It would be possible to get a ground from the rear base ear to the lower fixed section lower cross panel - if you drill a hole in it.

In my case, a grounding wire goes from the base ear to a 8 foot ground rod (one). The tower fixed bottom section is secured to the base ears to the crankup tower lower section by nine large galvanized bolts .

The HyGain installation manual goes no farther then addressing lightning protection than saying to right a ground wire from the single base ear to a 4 to 8 foot ground rod and use a coaxial lightning arrestor at the house. I looked at the 25 page document done to satisfy the LA code dept, done by a CA PE, and it does not address lightning protection or grounding at all. I would imagine the raising/lowering cables may be the best moving sections electrical connection, excluding the coax.

How have others assured a good solid path between all sections of crankups short of the coax itself??

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Christensen