Re: [TowerTalk] height of ground rod at tower base

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] height of ground rod at tower base
From: Clay Autery <KY5G@montac.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 06:12:38 -0500
30" BGL for the rod top IIRC.  On inspection, the top foot or so of the rod would need to be exposed if and so the inspector could verify the compliance roll-stamping in the top end of all "approved" rods. Also to inspect/approve the bonding method.

The inspection well would likely (IIRC) ONLY be REQUIRED for a rod in a cathodic protection field where the rods are doped or some other method that would likely vastly accelerate the natural corrosion processes.
R56 did cover inspection wells though.

"Inspection" to me would more properly consist of a resistivity test as described in excruciating detail in R56.  If the system is functional to meet your "code" and or protection requirements, there is a drastically reduced need to visually inspect the tops of the rods (or anything else).  In fact, visual inspection absent some arbitrary code or procedure requirement is of dubious value.

As Always, my opinion is worth precisely what you paid for it! <big wink and a nod>

Y'all have a WONDERFUL day!!!

Clay Autery
KY5G