Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Need Help Remembering Something I Read

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Need Help Remembering Something I Read
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 23:33:28 -0700
On 7/7/2018 12:41 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
Interesting paper, lots of stuff to absorb.

My comments here are about the relationship between noise coming in on the antenna and circuit noise. FWIW, I know this material well, but find the way the material is presented difficult to follow. Pity the poor guy who doesn't already know it. I view this as a teaching failure, not a technical one.

One important error -- for no degradation of signal to noise ratio by circuit noise,  the margin between circuit noise and noise from the antenna at the input stage must be 10 dB, not 3 dB.

I certainly agree with your comments about preamps with excessive gain, and although I'm not a student of preamp design, my distant memory is that gain is one of the important compromises in achieving a low noise figure.

One of the issues that must be addressed with low output antennas is, depending on the noise environment, antenna sensitivity, and feedline loss, whether the preamp should be at the antenna or can be in the shack.

Another question about the presentation is the validity of the noise data -- how recent is it?  In most of the developed world, noise levels have increased significantly over the last decade or two with the near universal use of switch-mode power supplies, solar systems, variable speed motor controllers, leaky CATV systems (especially the HF signals used for "backhaul" data from consumer to the system). A few years ago, radio broadcasters asked for a serious study of the increased noise level, especially on the AM broadcast band.

73, Jim K9YC