Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Need Help Remembering Something I Read

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Need Help Remembering Something I Read
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 09:23:05 -0700
On 7/7/18 11:46 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 7/7/2018 11:33 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

Another question about the presentation is the validity of the noise data -- how recent is it?

One issue with the strategy in the nice presentation is that they are taking the ITU noise and assuming it is uniformly present over the hemisphere (when they're numerically integrating using the antenna pattern).

Sky noise isn't uniformly distributed, and RFI (whether from thunderstorms or manmade sources) most certainly isn't.

I believe the ITU curves are made using data from a vertical monopole, which, of course, has a null at the top, and a gain distribution vs elevation that depends quite a lot on the soil properties within a few wavelengths. I'll have to check, but there might be some datasets using horizontal antennas, which at least minimizes the effect of the soil properties.

Chris Coleman published a couple papers in the early 2000s looking at the distribution of HF noise sources. The Australians are big into HF Over The Horizon Radar, and as you can imagine, HF noise is a big deal for them.

THE DIRECTIONAL ASPECT OF ATMOSPHERIC NOISE AND ITS IMPACT UPON HF COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS

A direction-sensitive model of atmospheric noise and its application to the analysis of HF receiving antennas Radio Science, v37, #3, 1031, 10.1029/2000RS002567, 2002

Here's the references to the first paper -
Kotaki,M. Global distribution of atmospheric radio noise derived from thunderstorm activity, J.Atmos. Terr. Phy.,
vol.46, pp.867-877, 1984.
[3] Kotaki,M. and C.Katoh, J.Atmos. Terr.Phy., ‘The global distribution of thunderstorm activity observed by
theIonosphere Satellite (ISS-b)’ Vol.45, pp.833-850, 1984.
[4] CCIR, World distribution and characteristics of atmospheric radio noise data, Rep. 322, Int. Radio Consult.
Comm., Int. Telecom. Union, Geneva, 1964.
[5] Keller,C.M., HF noise environment models , Radio Science, Vol.26, pp.981-995,1991. [6] Coleman,C.J. The directionalty of atmospheric noise and its impact upon an HF receiving system, Proceedings of the 8 International Conference on HF Radio Systems and Techniques, IEE Conference Publication no 474, 2000.

---
Ultimately, I think that once you've got a scheme to get the receiver noise "well below" the sky noise (so the angular distribution of the sky noise is immaterial) the next step is to look at "how effectively can I suppress noise coming from undesired directions" and how quickly can you adjust for propagation effects.

Given the ease of doing DSP to combine multiple antennas, the future in HF receiving is going to be along those lines. The burning questions will be how to implement it effectively: 1) do you have a broadband(ish) preamp (perhaps with band select filters) and bring coax back to the shack where you digitize it 2) Do you put the digitizer out at the antenna, and bring the samples back by network? 3) What should the digitizer look like? A Superhet or Direct Conversion/Low IF front end followed by a low speed high resolution sampler? Or a wide open sampler?

I'm not sure, also, whether you can get equivalent performance from "ground mounted" antennas vs "antennas in the air" - That's where some analysis of patterns helps - if your skywave signals come in at an elevation angle where you can suppress sky and environmental noise, then you're going to be better off.