Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam OBLY14-5

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Optibeam OBLY14-5
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:18:48 -0800
On 11/15/2018 3:54 AM, kstover@ac0h.net wrote:
K7NV has also put out warnings about the SteppIR's with trombone elements
being way understated in surface area specs and we hear crickets on this
reflector.

I have FAR less experience than Kurt on this, but as of a year or so ago, consider the SteppIR trombones an immature design based on the experience of local friends who own them. The issue I've heard about from them is the handling of the tape inside the tubing.

By contrast, I've had a straight 3-el SteppIR up for ten years, and have yet to have a problem I can blame on the antenna. It's a far simpler design mechanically, and does appear to be mature. I'm also quite happy with its performance as an antenna.

73, Jim K9YC