Re: [TowerTalk] Ropes in trees

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ropes in trees
From: wesattaway <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:39:06 -0600
Good advice from Jim.  I use a tennis ball launcher, with good results shooting
into tall Pines.  It takes some practice to be able to gauge the correct air
pressure to use for certain shots.

   -----------------------------------Wes Attaway (N5WA)(318) 393-3289 -
Shreveport, LAComputer/Cellphone ForensicsAttawayForensics.com
------------------------------------
-------- Original message --------From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: 12/26/18  6:19 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re:
[TowerTalk] Ropes in trees
On 12/26/2018 3:27 PM, Brad Anbro wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I imagine that this subject has been covered in the past but rather than
> search the archives, I thought that
> I'd just ask the group for some information.
>
> What is available for purchase on the market for getting ropes into trees? I
> am planning on putting up
> an inverted L wire antenna and need to get a couple of ropes installed for
> supporting the antenna.

What kind of trees? How tall?  Three of the most useful tools are

1) the Big Shot, an industrial-strength sling shot from Sherrill Tree
Service.  You want it with the fishing reel and several small weighted
throw bags. They're in NC.

2) the pneumatic tennis ball launcher. When I moved to a redwood forest
in NorCal in 2006, K2RD brought his over and cleared the top of my
tallest redwood by at least 10 ft on the first shot.

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html

3) Tree climbers. They're expensive, but good ones can get wires higher
in tall trees with pulleys that allow greater tension.

73, Jim K9YC