Re: [TowerTalk] Ropes in trees

To: wesattaway <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ropes in trees
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 19:04:42 -0600
I’ve had some success on shorter (40-50ft) trees using a slingshot, with a
high-density weight (heavy but not huge). Of course, it helps I can shoot in
such a way as to not care where it lands.

If your trees are fairly dense, a projectile such as a tennis ball may prove
problematic: I’ve had tennis balls get caught in the foliage and not be heavy
enough (and too large) to fall through. The tennis ball also seems to absorb
enough of the slingshot’s kinetic energy, leaving less energy for moving the
ball.

Seeing the projectile can also be a problem, so I’ve tied coloured tape to the
projectile (usually a large nut).

Be wary of how you fasten your pull rope to the monofilament: a large knot can
get caught in the branches and render the effort futile. I’ve had success tying
two overhand knots (one on each) and then taping over the knot to hold the
knots and provide a smooth transition. Going slowly once the knot reaches the
branch helps.

A tree climber like Jim recommends or a buddy with a cherry picker would be
ideal.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPhone