Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Old Hardline

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Old Hardline
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 12:35:12 +0800
I've heard from some guys that used hardline is a mistake in the making.  Well, that may be true in some cases but for most, it's definitely worth checking out.  Especially if it's 50 ohm stuff. Even 75 ohm can be used if trimmed in half-wave multiples, especially for the higher and more narrow bands (%BW).

For some of the runs here, I'm using some 7/8 thick-walled aluminum 50-ohm stuff that I suspect came off a communications tower based on periodic white & red paint marking.  It has a residual date code in some places that you can barely make out of the mid 80s.  Center core is solid aluminum with a copper plating.  Found it setting in a farmers field at a good friend of mine who passed away.

Like you, I stripped it back a bit and found the copper to be bright and shiny.  The foam material did not seem to ooze any water when I squeezed it with a napkin to help detect trapped moisture.  Assuming it had no significant water content (which would have likely caused tarnished copper), I did not test it for loss.  Just used it.

The hardest part was unraveling and unrolling it - it's very heavy and the coils were in bulk, not on a reel or anything.

To feed the 80m 4SQ, I did not try to put on a proper connector, instead just hacked a pigtail of RG213 on each end, clamping to the outer conductor with some conductive grease and a hose clamp - and soldering the center conductor.  A bunch of 3M tapes provided the weather seal.

Works great.  Especially at the price.  And I also have the peace of mind that the cable is so mechanically massive it will never die short of a monster lightning strike or similar - and it will probably be working long after the more delicate Andrews stuff laying in the trench next to it.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com