Re: [TowerTalk] Pelican case for outdoor use

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pelican case for outdoor use
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 08:05:14 -0700
I think they will work fine but an issue is the accumulation of condensation. It is very difficult to make something with cables in/out to be hermetically sealed. If a box is not perfectly airtight, moisture gets inside from air pressure changes due to temperature and barometric pressure and condenses. In my NEMA 4 enclosures which are rain/splash/hose spray proof, a bug proof vent keeps the inside humidity level at ambient here in the very wet Pacific Northwest . No accumulated condensation. The Pelican seals are probably EPDM rubber which lasts a long time in window gaskets and are protected anyway.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA