Re: [TowerTalk] Pelican case for outdoor use

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pelican case for outdoor use
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 08:32:13 -0700
On 4/10/20 1:38 AM, Martin Sole wrote:
Hi,

I have a couple of large suitcase sized Pelican cases, the real thing. I am wondering how weather proof they might be? Have read suggestions they are not necessarily guaranteed to be submersible but at the same time outside is not quite that.

They are *very* weatherproof. While they aren't guaranteed submersible, in practice they are, assuming the gasket hasn't been damaged. I have dropped them into water and hoisted them out without any ill effects to the gear inside (or any leakage). There is that pressure relief valve, so you want to be careful about pushing that, if there's a lot of water around.

They don't guarantee it being submersible because they don't want people deliberately submerging them and then claiming stuff was damaged.

They're also quite "abuse" resistant - You see a lot of expensive motion picture camera gear as checked bags in Pelican cases.

If suitable I would mount one outside.probably on one side of the tower to house switching, and other ground level tower mounted accessories.

They are not likely to see any other use, far too heavy and cumbersome for any regular transit jobs.

Short of putting one outside for a month and hosing it down regularly I don't have any info on their ability to prevent water ingress which I think might be the only concern here in HS. Possibly the longevity of the rubber seal.

It's actually a silicone elastomer - probably very long life. I've got some here in Los Angeles that are over 10 years old, exposed to sunlight and ozone from smog, and I've not noticed any particular degradation (although the seal isn't very exposed when the box is closed).

There are a LOT of inexpensive weather tight/rain tight boxes available that are significantly cheaper than a Pelican case, but if you've got the Pelican cases, you might as well use them.