Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors

To: Tim Duffy <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors
From: Fredrick Matos via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 09:19:44 -0400
Tnx Tim.

For background, I am PVRC, and I have had discussions with club members on my
plans.
W3LPL has provided good advice. Also had helpful emails with Don Daso and Jon
Zaimes.

I had some interest in the American Earth anchors, but I posed my question more
to begin a general discussion on anchors than  my application.   But if there
was a very positive response on the American Earth anchors, I would consider
using them, pricey as they are.

You make a good suggestion to connect with manufacturers and follow their plan,
but it’s not doable in my case.   I am putting up an Army surplus AB-621
tower/mast. It came without guys, so I am planning the guys right now, and will
buy Phillystran, Big Grips, etc. from DXE, around $500-600, maybe more.

 The original 621s were  used for microwave dishes, like 4-ft diameter, but my
plan is to use a SteppIR DB18.  The Army guys were 1/8-inch stainless, but I
will upgrade and use Philly 4000 and 3/16-inch galvanized wire.  Other PVRCers
use the 621s for SteppIRs, 40-meter beams, etc.  I even visited  a couple
installations.  Thus there is considerable  knowledge based  on PVRCers
experiences in using them.

Hey, I would appreciate the Dayton Hamvention discount on my buy.

73,

Fred W3ICM

Sent from my iPhone