Re: [TowerTalk] Greyline Performance antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Greyline Performance antennas
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 20:32:33 -0500
This is gold, Jim. Thanks much for sharing!

Kim N5OP

On 10/17/2020 5:15 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 10/17/2020 1:24 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
Maybe I should have said "... making sure it has a good CM choke," especially since you've taught us how to make them! Even if the feed is in the center (it could be if the transmission line is run up the bottom half) it still won't be balanced. A CM choke is always needed. I've become convinced that balanced antennas make analysis much easier (even possible) but that in the real world, there aren't any.  I have no idea what the electrical length is for 6 m or even 10 m, so the low radiation-angle assumption might be invalid on those bands.

Here are slides for a talk I gave on the Pacificon Antenna Forum several years ago on an 80M vertical dipole for our 7QP and CQP expeditions, based on N6BT's design ideas. Yes, it does need a serious choke were the coax feeds up through the tubing to the feedpoint.

http://k9yc.com/80M-FDVertical.pdf

Testing it in Glen's pasture showed it to significantly outperform an inverted Vee with the center at 46 ft, but mechanical issues with the design caused us to abandon it after modeling and building several alternative designs.

73, Jim K9YC

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"A great second violinist plays second fiddle to no one." //– Robert C. Marsh, Chicago Sun-Times./