Re: [TowerTalk] Greyline Performance antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Greyline Performance antennas
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:38:58 -0500
I have a F12 Sigma 80 antenna, which is an OCF vertical dipole with inductive loading at the feed point and a hairpin match. While it *requires* a common-mode choke at the feed point, it works very well for DX. On stateside contacts, I think its radiation angle is too low and performance for anything within about 400 mi is much worse than for my inverted V with (apex at 40 ft). On DX, though, it does MUCH better than the inverted V. I have no radials beneath this antenna.

I know a friend is buying a Greyline antenna for his QTH. They initially look a bit pricey, but I've not actually seen one, so I don't what the build quality is truly like. Assuming it's build quality is pretty good, and assuming it has a good CM choke, there's no reason why it shouldn't perform relatively well given the constraints. Certainly better than no antenna at all!

Kim N5OP