Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square question
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:00:08 -0700
On 10/18/2020 11:49 AM, kq2m@kq2m.com wrote:
3) In the past I had the bottom of the 4-square elements soldered to center
conductor of the pin of an SO239 with the radials attached to each of the SO239
screw holes, with the coax connector for the phasing line screwed onto the
SO239.   (The choke was located below the PL259 on the phasing line) This
worked well but I am trying to improve the design.

If I were to terminate the bottom of the 4-square element by twisting it through and
around one hole of the porcelain insulator and soldering it there, would I still be
able to then solder a small wire from that connection to the center conductor pin of a
SO239 with the radials attached to the SO239 screw holes as before?  My idea being
that I can do that then I can use a piece of twine through the remaining porcelain
insulator hole taped to the coax to provide additional physical support for the coax
and radials – which will be helpful during ice storms

Solder is not very good for supporting mechanical loads, so what you describe above is a good idea. It will take the mechanical load off the solder connection between the SO239 center conductor and the radiator. Keep in mind that the "small piece of wire" adds to the electrical length of the radiator. A few inches probably won't make an appreciable difference, but I would keep that piece the same length on all 4 elements just to be safe.

73, Mike W4EF..........

I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions and possible improvements on
this design.

Tnx  & 73

Bob, KQ2M