Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square question
From: <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 22:39:14 -0400
I really want to thank Jim, Jeff, Les, Mike, John and Gary for all of their
help, answers and ideas to which I have been giving a lot of thought this week.
The information gleaned has made me confident of the new design.  Unfortunately
there is no way to avoid putting the 4-square elements around the tower so I
know that interaction effects will likely be noticed.  Vicious storms have
taken down all the other tall trees that were previously in use to support my
80 meter 4-square.

Note to Jim Lux – I am particularly intrigued by your idea of changing the
feeding of the elements so that I can radiate broadside from the side of the
array rather than on the diagonal since the only trees that I have to support
elements happen to be roughly N, E, S and West, which, with the Comtek phasing
box, would give me radiation N, E, S and West rather than the desired NE, SE,
SW and NW.

The Comtek ACB-4 outdoor box uses the NW element in Pos 1 on the outdoor , NE
(2), SE (3) and SW in position 4 and arranged as shown in the .pdf:

www.static.dxengineering.com/pdf/comtek_4_square_info.pdf

Which elements (N, E, S, W) would you put in which positions on the box (so
that the 4-square radiates toward the NE instead of East?

How is the gain and F/B and F/S compared to the standard pattern that radiates
diagonally?

Tnx to all & 73!

Bob KQ2M