Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 13:35:17 -0700
On 10/20/20 1:21 PM, jimlux wrote:
On 10/20/20 1:01 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

Electrically, a half wave vertical dipole is not a lot different than a quarter wave vertical fed against radials or a counterpoise, but it requires a LOT more height to put it up.  I just modeled two different antennas in EZNEC+ as a comparison (both over medium ground):

A lot of these antennas are an electrically short dipole. so they don't require the height. From a gain standpoint, an infinitesimally small dipole is 1.5 dBi and a full size dipole is 2.5 dBi (mostly from the broader lobe for the short antenna).

What might be interesting is modeling, say, a 25 foot dipole with the center 13-14 feet off the ground.

Of course, one advantage of a full size vertical dipole is that the "center of radiation" is 1/4 wavelength from the ground. on 80m that puts it 65+ feet off the ground, and a horizontal dipole at that height would also perform fairly well, no?

I think that's going to be the dominant effect.