Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical dipole other choices?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 13:42:41 -0700
On 10/20/2020 1:21 PM, jimlux wrote:
A lot of these antennas are an electrically short dipole. so they don't require the height. From a gain standpoint, an infinitesimally small dipole is 1.5 dBi and a full size dipole is 2.5 dBi (mostly from the broader lobe for the short antenna).

What might be interesting is modeling, say, a 25 foot dipole with the center 13-14 feet off the ground.

N6BT has built and sold a LOT of designs like that. Photos of at least one of them in the work I published online 4-5 years ago answering the question, "If Can Put My HF Vertical On My Roof, Should I?"

Slides for the Pacificon talk:  k9yc.com/VerticalHeight.pdf
Text version for Nat'l Contest Journal: k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

73, Jim K9YC